Some multi-day races require that you carry almost everything you need, including your food. This is not the case for the Manaslu Trail Race. In the morning, you will have your running backpack and another small bag which will be carried by porters to the evening destination. Depending on the days distance, this could arrive several hours after you finish running so you must be prepared for that. Many things are available to buy in Kathmandu.
While running you will have to carry:
- Small first aid kit
- Warm clothing and hat
- Water (2 litres)
- Emergency food ration
- Running bag: up to you!
- Transported bag: maximum 7kg
Equipment you will need
- Backpack suitable for running
- Waterproof sack (to keep backpack contents dry)
- Simple bag for daily transportation of non-carried equipment
- Sleeping bag – 3 season (or 4 depending on how you feel in the cold)
- Headlight + spare batteries
- Map (provided)
- Survival blanket (available in Kathmandu)
- First Aid Kit
- Windproof, waterproof jacket
- Warm fleece pants
- Warm hat
- Quick dry shirt, longsleeves.
- Trail running shoes
- Water bottle 2 litres
- Small towel
- 1200 calories in energy bars, gels (for emergency use)
- ORS – Oral rehydration salts, 3 sachet for 3L.
Recommended to bring
- Blister kit
- Sleeping mat
- Pocket knife
- Sunscreen (SPF 50 recommended)
- Lip SPF 25 balm
- Hand sanitizer, alcohol gel
- Toilet paper (optional)
- Sun hat plus neck protection
- Toothbrush / paste
- Sweets or strepsils for dry throat
- sandals, light shoes or fake crocs for evenings
For warmth, it is better to over-prepare than under. Low cost fleeces, hats, gloves etc. are available in Kathmandu, which you can always bring along and give away en route.